Two ChAD committee members (with support) have continued the NHS Inpatient Self Advocacy Focus Group medium secure hospital work.
As Experts by Experience, they have been speaking with patients who have a Learning Disability who experience mental health problems, around the importance of Advocacy and having your voice heard.
The pilot is part of a bigger project across England to understand how advocacy can best support people with a learning disability and autistic people who are patients in mental health, learning disability and autism hospitals.
There are over 30 different pilot projects happening around England which focus on particular types of advocacy .The project ChAD are involved in is investing in the peer and self-advocacy model supporting patients to speak up with knowledge of support services available on discharge.
This work is being done over a period through interactive engagement to allow trusting relationships to be built and independent findings and reports to be submitted.
Meetings are held with staff members from The NHS Improving Quality Team and Reports are submitted to the Commissioners of the service as well as hospital leads .Good practice is shared with similar groups working on this project in different areas, as well as Meetings are held with the NDTI to capture the outcomes and impact the work has had.
Other work and meetings ChAD have been involved during this time are:
- Attendance at the Learning Disability Partnership Board Meeting
- Attendance at the Making it Real Board Scoping Meeting – for community interaction
- Attended the North PCN annual meeting 30.2.22
Annual Health feedback RH (asked by RDash & Health Action Team)
- ChAD held a workshop in one of their meetings for Rotherham Speak Up. All information was fed back for NHS England Health Inequalities Community of Practice group.
- Commenced planning work with The Ridge Employability College on Easy Read info booklets 1.3.2
- Big Doncaster Litter pick with Thorne Road SMILE and Mencap 3.4.22
- ChAD members have also provided 2 video clips for Healthwatch Doncaster to feedback to the governing body
- And as always , Speaking up on behalf of people they represent about matters that are important to them